Sunday, September 2, 2012

Boundaries and poem: "Growing"


I have this theme of ruining things in my life: really good things. I'm tired of it. I found a really solid book call Boundaries* that I've been working through with a group of close friends, and it's hitting a lot of key points I've never addressed before. It's good, but it doesn't undo the past. The hope I have is for a different today.

-s


Growing

I saw a picture of you today
looking happier than I've seen
and I had the realization
that I was your bottom

It was a time of sadness
you were a kind and listening ear
but I wasn't careful
and I brought you down

I'm sorry for what I destroyed:
a friendship that was good
but not having healthy boundaries
brought it to an end

some lessons are hard to learn
but the pain brings them into focus
not having what we used to
moves me to keep on growing

I am seeking a better future
and today is a better day
though yesterday still haunts me
I'm learning to let go



*If you're interested in making changes, I'd highly recommend it: http://www.cloudtownsend.com/articles/scoop-on-boundaries/

No comments:

Post a Comment